Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Birthday Scones!


I love birthdays! Birthday presents, birthday cakes, birthday decorations... the whole bit!  Sunday was (future) Mom-in-Law's birthday but we were not able to celebrate with her because she and (future) Dad-in-Law were in Las Vegas!! -the perfect place for a person who loves to gamble and play the slots!

Her birthday weekend wrapped up on Monday and their flight was scheduled to arrive back in HNL at some crazy hour of the morning.
-First of all, although I tend to always take the red-eye into LA it's always frustrating to arrive tired and dehydrated, and too early to find decent sustenance.  I couldn't leave the birthday girl tired, dehydrated and hungry after a fabulous weekend in Vegas, so like a good (future) Daughter-in-Law, I decided to have breakfast waiting and ready to greet her when she got home.  Only one problem: what to make for breakfast? -Thank you to the mister who reminded me that she LOVES scones... so scones it was.

I found the perfect Tyler Florence recipe for Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Glaze! The recipe was very easy to follow and quick to bake approximately 30 minutes total.  To bring out the taste of the blueberries I added the zest of one lemon (a lesson I learned from Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa) to the mix before adding the blueberries.  The scones were delish! 

Once the scones were cooled and iced, we stacked them and topped our birthday scone creation with a birthday candle.  I hope she enjoyed the scones!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment