Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wedding Wednesday! - Cake Tasting

Mmmm... CAKE!  Cake tasting is a wedding planning highlight.  I mean, how can you go wrong when you are treated to delicious samplings of (free) cake! The Mister doesn't really care for cake but thankfully, I haven't had to go to my tastings alone, Mother has stepped up and is a FABULOUS cake tasting buddy! 

At Paradise Pastries our cake tasting was driven by cake and filling flavors that I was interested in.  The combinations included the following:
Vanilla cake with Guava Cream 
Yellow cake with Strawberry Cream
Coconut cake with Ganache
Chocolate cake with Haupia (Coconut)
Red Velvet cake with White Chocolate Cream Cheese
Yellow Cake with Pineapple 

The white chocolate cream cheese frosting was really good! The white chocolate was very subtle but it added a nice flavor boost.  

While I'm not a huge fan of pineapple the flavor was light and complemented the yellow cake well.  

At A Cake Life I was not able to choose the cake or fillings in the tasting; the tasting selections were based on their best sellers.  

The cake tasting included the following flavor combinations (left to right) as shown below:
Yellow cake with Strawberry Cream 
Yellow cake with Lilikoi (a tart fruit)
Chocolate cake with Oreo Cream Cheese
Chocolate with Chocolate Raspberry Cream
Guava Cake with Guava Cream 
Red Velvet cake with Cream Cheese


 I really liked the yellow cake with strawberry cream filling! 

Although I wouldn't choose the Oreo cake for my wedding, I think it would make a delicious birthday cake.

 Nom. Nom. Nom! 

Although I have narrowed down my cake search (from 4) to these two companies, I haven't confirmed with either yet.  Currently, I am leaning toward A Cake Life based on the overall consultation and design feedback.  But solely based on the tasting, I'd have to choose Paradise Pastry simply because I was able to taste (and liked) the flavor combination I plan to order (White cake with a Coconut filling) while I wasn't able to taste either flavor with A Cake Life.  Decisions, decisions, decisions.  

Do you think it's important to taste a wedding cake before you commit and put down your deposit?
Has anyone ordered their wedding cake without tasting it? 

2 comments:

  1. good luck in finding your cake vendor, and i definitely think it's very important to taste the cake before putting down a deposit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy yummers! How'd I miss out on this? ;)

    ReplyDelete