Monday, March 7, 2011

Hiking the Stairs and Lettuce Wraps too!

Good Morning! 
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!  

Recently, the Mister and I have been busy discussing wedding plans, addressing saving the date cards, and doing other "fun" things like hiking and cooking.  Yes, I said hiking... *Warning: this post contains a lot of pictures*

I am not a hiker by any means but I agreed to hike the Koko Head Stairs because the Mister has had his eye on them for a while and because I was trying to be a supportive wife in training. -Truth be told I was also trying to cross "hiking" off of my Thirty Before 30 list. :)
There were more than 1000 stairs (I think it was 1048 to be exact) to the top of the crater.  Okay let me be clear these were not real stairs, they are the remnants of railway tram tracks by the military during WW2 to haul supplies to the bunkers at the top of the crater.
a view from the road (the trail is in the middle of the pic)
The view from the bottom was daunting but we made it to the top together and cheered each other on one step at a time.
at the beginning of our hike
at this point we were maybe half way...
catching my breath - one of MANY breaks
getting closer to the top
YEAH!  we made it to the top! 
what a beautiful view
a view of Hanauma Bay
Whew! The Mister and I made it to the top in a little under an hour;  I was very proud of us for making it to the top.  Climbing the stairs definitely wasn't the leisurely hike I had in mind, but I have to say, it was enjoyable nonetheless.  

Hiking may not be my thing but cooking and eating are 2 things I really enjoy! The Mister and I tried a recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps and I have to say, it was quite delish! 

Ingredients for stir-fry sauce: 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar :: Mix all together

Ingredients for chicken stir-fry: 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 8oz can water chestnuts (minced), 1/2 cup mushrooms (minced), 1/2 onion (chopped fine), 3 cloves of garlic (minced), 6 iceberg lettuce leaves
After about 15 minutes of cooking the stir-fry ingredients in the stir-fry sauce, voila! Chicken Lettuce Wraps! 
we used hoisin sauce instead of the "pouring sauce

We really enjoyed the lettuce wraps!  It was refreshing, and quick and easy to make... it even made it on our "cook again" list.  Yum yum!

1 comment:

  1. You are AWESOME! Too funny- I made lettuce wraps the other week. They were okaaay, but paled in comparison to PF Chang's, which is what I really wanted. Now I'm hungry for lettuce wraps again!

    ReplyDelete